Stop Wasting Time Submitting 100’s of Applications to Your College’s Internship Portal. Here Are 5 Reasons Finding An Upperclassmen Mentor Will Cut Your Internship Search Time In Half

I wasted time submitting > 200 applications through my college’s portal. Didn’t get one response.

If you’re a college freshman/sophomore drowning in the stress of trying to land a summer internship - you’re not alone. You’re probably slowly starting to accept the fact that you’ll end up as a hostess at your Aunt’s restaurant back home this summer…..

I was fed up. Luckily, I worked up the courage to email a SR that had my dream internship. I wanted to see HOW TF he did it. I asked him to meet for coffee & it was all downhill from there…

I landed an internship at my #1 choice (elite boutique investment bank in NYC) just 2 months later. I then became President of our school's investment banking organization & helped dozens of other kids do the same.

Reason 1: Companies Rely on Word of Mouth > College Resume Portals

• The resume portal is a BLACK HOLE.
  • If you don’t have someone inside the club asking HR to get your resume pushed forward out of the thousands that they get a day - you’re kidding yourself.

Reason 2: They Know The Right People

• My mentor told me to email one full-time analyst he became friends with over the summer
  • That email turned → phone calls with five more firm employees → 1st round interview
  • Point is - if the college SR can’t directly push your resume, they will show you who can

Reason 3: Humans = Wired to Help “Younger Versions” of Ourselves

• My mentor said he respected the eagerness & drive and 99% are too scared to reach out
  • Upperclassmen won’t make fun of you for sending a funky-worded email. We were you 2yr ago
  • Giving back for us is usually more rewarding than getting our own offers.

Reason 4: They Know What Interviewers Look For In Answers & Resumes

• The questions I ended up getting asked in the company’s interview were the exact same as the ones he mocked me with - with the exception of changing up a couple numbers.
  • The answers he used 2yr ago clearly worked. So, I structured mine in the same way.

Reason 5: They Want Cool Future Co-Workers

• By the time you come in as an intern, they’ll probably be working there full-time
  • Everyone wants a team with eager go-getters
  • Plus, they’ll get to brag to their co-workers for recruiting you if you’re a stud

This is cringe. Anyone that is scared of networking is NGMI. Take this weird ahhhh content to LinkedIn

Funniest

Dude's been on the desk 3 months and is here trying to be a WSO influencer.

Amet adipisci et quisquam et voluptatem non aliquam. Autem excepturi laborum maxime autem quidem. Qui est aspernatur totam laudantium maxime et voluptatum eius. Dolores quasi possimus possimus expedita commodi.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”