Rising junior can’t get anything for 2025

Target school 4.0 (applied math economics)

60 applications

1 interview (said recommended for next round)
Nothing…am I done for 2025 internships?

Just trying to get anything. Any advice?
I have two internships for 2024 summer (finance) but can’t lock anything down for IB/S&T 2025

Most Helpful

I'd say keep your head up and keep trying. I understand you're at a target school, but submitting 60 applications isn't much in the grand scheme of things. Personally, I spent a year recruiting and sent out over 400 applications along with networking emails and texts just to get my foot in the door. Out of those, I managed to secure 8-9 Superdays, which is roughly a 2% conversion rate.

From my experience, I've learned that while many students have impressive 4.0 GPAs from top schools, what truly sets you apart are your resume, activities, likability, and online presence.

Transitioning from a non-target school with no prior banking experience to private equity, I found my success came from my unique resume, diverse activities, and mastering technical skills. Despite not converting those 8-9 Superdays, consistently reaching the interview stage and progressing to round 2 or beyond indicated that I was doing something right.

Another piece of advice would be to ensure you're involved in clubs that allow you to leverage your network effectively. If you're at a target school, you shouldn't have trouble finding alumni who are willing to make time for you.

Appreciate the words. I’ve spent a hundred hours on phone calls, emailing back and forth, and trying to reach out. It seems no matter how many people I talk to, even if they want to help it’s nothing more than “be prepared for this” and then I am in the interview and somehow they move along with others. My two first rounds were left with “I will recommend you for the next round”. I’m not sure if there’s something I’m missing.

Sad to say but that's just the game - I think you're doing everything right if you're spending time on calls and getting interviews. At the end of the day, it's really a numbers game. Just remember if it were easy, everyone would be doing it!

You’re not screwed, it’ll be ok.

Just overheard an MD in another group that sits by me say he gave a verbal offer for a student to start an internship this summer (ie in two weeks)… now, he is a nepo hire (older brother is an MD at the firm), but still.

Even if it feels like you’re late to the game, opportunities pop up randomly. Grind out cold emails and intros. Ask all your friends who they know. Whatever it is, it’s possible. Keep your head up!

how do you suggest writing the cold emails and intros after the regular recruiting period for firms has closed (hope this q makes sense)

Makes sense.

I’d be sure to make it clear that you’ve don’t your homework. Don’t ask surface level Qs like “what does the interview process look like,” “how’s your experience been with the firm,” etc. Instead, identify a handful of individuals in specific groups which you have the most interest. Look them up on LinkedIn, see if they’ve posted anything about a certain/recent deal, or search up deals that their specific group has covered. In your email, ask something like “I saw that you (or your group) worked on the XYZ deal. It seemed interesting because ABC and DEF. As I’m interested in a group (or industry, product, whatever really) similar to what you’re in, could we setup some time to discuss this recent deal?”

idk, that’s just an example. Ball at a high level, ask specific questions about a specific thing. Even if you don’t find it interesting, make it interesting to you and prepare thoughtful and insightful questions.

On the call, it also helps if you develop and use active listening, and can ditch the pre-scripted Qs in favor of deeper Qs to dive deeper. 

TLDR; 1) do your research, 2) be SPECIFIC in your email and what you’re interested in, 3) ask good questions, 4) be agile in your questions (able to pivot), 5) again be specific and don’t ask superficial questions (if you can’t tell, this matters/makes you stand out).

Et repudiandae voluptas aut iste qui. Nesciunt aut non nam esse eveniet animi id. Placeat blanditiis necessitatibus cupiditate voluptates. Animi ut dolorem qui ipsum dolorum quam.

Reiciendis nisi velit aut nostrum laudantium commodi. Accusantium cum blanditiis quia voluptas similique. Ut culpa velit quae perspiciatis enim. Deleniti voluptates voluptatem facilis aut accusantium. Et quasi et deleniti ut natus consequuntur. Qui quaerat rerum laudantium ratione aut et cum.

Exercitationem vero iure neque. Voluptatem nisi tempore omnis minus aut quia enim. Omnis at recusandae maxime ut perferendis quod modi.

Fuga dolor perspiciatis in. Dolorum ipsa odio placeat eum. Eligendi aperiam doloremque error sapiente. Et sed ut suscipit eligendi. Rerum optio minus in corporis quibusdam aut. Ea itaque dolores maxime placeat veritatis ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 01 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (206) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (148) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”