Retake GMAT 730 [low GPA]?

Hi everyone,

Hope your GMAT prep/ Bschool applications are all going well!

After several years out of school I decided to take the GMAT, first score 300+, then worked my way up to 730 (official test). I put a lot of work into this, and if it weren't for my weak GPA (2.7) I would be over the moon. I scored around 710-730 in my mocks, so this score is definitely the best I could have hoped for at this stage in my prep, but I am wondering whether (given my weak GPA) I should study a few more months to get the score up to 750 (not sure whether I can do it, but I might try?). [International student, GMAT breakdown: Q49, V41, IR7, AWA5]

I want to apply to the top Bschools, hence I need something to show that I'm academically good enough for their program. Showed my profile to a couple of people who all think that my (non-traditional) background and profile are strong, but major letdown is my GPA, hence thinking about what to do (hoping to apply R1). For what it's worth, I had to work full-time during my undergrad due to unfortunate circumstances, so it's not like I was partying/ couldn't be bothered to study (not meant as an excuse, just want to give some insight). If you think that retaking the GMAT would be a waste of time, are there any other courses you might recommend that might help me add points in the Adcom's eyes?

Thank you for your time in advance, wishing you all the best for your Bschool dreams!

Most Helpful

If you’re shooting for HSW and you’re Asian / White, you should definitely retake. If you’re shooting for the rest of the M7 and Asian, you should definitely retake. If you’re white, you might be able to slide by with the 730 if you feel you can address the low GPA in the optional essays (which I’d suggest in all cases), but obviously would be better off with a higher score there too. If you’re an URM then you should be fine for any of the M7, but would benefit from a higher score particularly for HSW.

Assuming you’re applying Round 1 next year, you still have plenty of time to try again for the GMAT so I would suggest another month of studying for another retake.

I think 730/2.7 for your demographic can get into some top 20 schools (Cornell Johnson, Emory, UCLA, UT Mc, Tepper UNC KF), which will give you IB or consulting path. Strong essays and story and I’d say a shot at Darden Fuqua Stern Ross. I’d try to focus on applications in late rounds here and shot for a 10-15 school. Are you going for this year or next year admission?

Laudantium odio illum vel ad nostrum error. Minima cupiditate ut quae non explicabo. Ratione fugiat est cupiditate error doloribus sequi cupiditate.

Ut ut animi ex sit enim. Nihil culpa ea voluptatem deserunt quaerat. Nemo pariatur sapiente itaque nihil asperiores voluptas assumenda quasi. Ut ullam voluptatum ea quos ipsa consequatur. Culpa eum dolore quia.

Eligendi quia dolores libero blanditiis natus iusto. Repellat eos voluptates accusantium praesentium. Natus dolor est placeat est. Suscipit reprehenderit et possimus vitae odit tenetur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.9%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 04 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”