Rejection from Bocconi with a 770 GMAT

Got rejected by Bocconi University Msc in Finance with a 770 GMAT. My GPA is 3.5/4 which is above average. For those of you guys who think GMAT is super important when it comes to graduate admission, as you can see, it's not. I'm not sure where should I apply next? I wanna study Masters in Finance in Europe, Bocconi was my top choice due to them offering a full scholarship. Can anyone recommend which university I should apply for Masters in finance, my budget is only around $20,000. 

I had 2 internships. 1 risk management and 1 investment analyst. Had some extra-curricular and the essay is not the best out there but good enough I suppose. I don’t know man, shit is strange. RSM application is closed for finance and investments. HSG’s living costs are too high and SSE is 2 years:( 

Here's my motivational letter, feel free to give advice. 

Dear Admissions Committee,

I am writing to express my genuine interest in joining Bocconi University for my higher

education journey. The reputation of the MSc finance program at your university is world-

renowned and I would be honored to be considered for a place in the program.

Ever since I started my bachelor’s degree in Business Administration. Truth be told, I was

uncertain about my ultimate career path. I have studied a wide range of business-related

courses but it wasn’t until I enrolled in the Financial Investment class that sparked my passion

for finance. What really captured my attention in this course was the stock screening project

that challenged me to construct different portfolios based on the strength of the company’s

metrics and investment returns. Throughout this project, we had the chance to work closely

with our professor who showed me the means of collecting relevant data such as financial

ratios, stock prices in different time periods, and formulas in Excel to compute the Piotroski F-

score. After completing this course, I went on to specialize in finance in the final year of my

degree, solidifying my commitment to explore the world of financial investments.

financial performance. This project enabled me to witness the relationship between financial

Currently, I am working as an investment analyst intern at the State Oil Company of Azerbaijan

Republic (SOCAR) and my key responsibilities are identifying free cash flows for investment

decisions, monitoring and analyzing financial performance metrics, and asset allocation

adjustments. I found myself immersed in the process of researching and dissecting financial

information as well as the technical aspects of evaluating and producing reports related to

investment decisions. However, my journey in the field has left me with a thirst for more

knowledge. I believe there is more to explore in the realms of investments and portfolio

management, thus, my enthusiasm to do a master’s degree in finance aboard energized me.

I believe the MSc Finance program at Bocconi University is the perfect choice for me due to the

quantitative nature of the curriculum and the opportunity for students to specialize in their

second year. Moreover, a summer internship included in this program will allow me to apply

my academic knowledge directly to real-world practices, more specifically, working at financial

institutions as a portfolio manager where I can manage clients’ funds and invest in lucrative

financial assets through valuation. This is also one of the main reasons why I prefer Bocconi

over other MSc finance programs since most of them are one-year programs which is not a

good fit for me. If admitted to your program, I am particularly keen to contribute to academic

discussions pertaining to financial markets and investments since this relates to my academic

and professional background.

Beyond academics and work experiences, I was also given the chance to participate in Formula

1 held in Baku as a volunteer and I was responsible for communicating with tourists and

providing them information about the city and the race. During this time, there were times

when I had to remain calm and professional in dealing with large crowds so I could diffuse tense

situations effectively. This volunteering experience made me realize the importance of having

strong soft skills and motivated me to actively seek out other extracurricular activities that are

going to elevate my leadership and teamwork abilities.

I appreciate you taking the time to look over my application, I am excited about the prospect of

studying at Bocconi University and contributing to the ongoing pursuit of knowledge within

your institution. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Rufat Guliyev

Most Helpful

rufatguliyev

Here's my motivational letter, feel free to give advice. 

Dear Admissions Committee,

I am writing to express my genuine interest in joining Bocconi University for my higher

education journey. The reputation of the MSc finance program at your university is world-

renowned and I would be honored to be considered for a place in the program.

Ever since I started my bachelor’s degree in Business Administration. Truth be told, I was

uncertain about my ultimate career path. I have studied a wide range of business-related

courses but it wasn’t until I enrolled in the Financial Investment class that sparked my passion

for finance. What really captured my attention in this course was the stock screening project

that challenged me to construct different portfolios based on the strength of the company’s

metrics and investment returns. Throughout this project, we had the chance to work closely

with our professor who showed me the means of collecting relevant data such as financial

ratios, stock prices in different time periods, and formulas in Excel to compute the Piotroski F-

score. After completing this course, I went on to specialize in finance in the final year of my

degree, solidifying my commitment to explore the world of financial investments.

financial performance. This project enabled me to witness the relationship between financial

Currently, I am working as an investment analyst intern at the State Oil Company of Azerbaijan

Republic (SOCAR) and my key responsibilities are identifying free cash flows for investment

decisions, monitoring and analyzing financial performance metrics, and asset allocation

adjustments. I found myself immersed in the process of researching and dissecting financial

information as well as the technical aspects of evaluating and producing reports related to

investment decisions. However, my journey in the field has left me with a thirst for more

knowledge. I believe there is more to explore in the realms of investments and portfolio

management, thus, my enthusiasm to do a master’s degree in finance aboard energized me.

I believe the MSc Finance program at Bocconi University is the perfect choice for me due to the

quantitative nature of the curriculum and the opportunity for students to specialize in their

second year. Moreover, a summer internship included in this program will allow me to apply

my academic knowledge directly to real-world practices, more specifically, working at financial

institutions as a portfolio manager where I can manage clients’ funds and invest in lucrative

financial assets through valuation. This is also one of the main reasons why I prefer Bocconi

over other MSc finance programs since most of them are one-year programs which is not a

good fit for me. If admitted to your program, I am particularly keen to contribute to academic

discussions pertaining to financial markets and investments since this relates to my academic

and professional background.

Beyond academics and work experiences, I was also given the chance to participate in Formula

1 held in Baku as a volunteer and I was responsible for communicating with tourists and

providing them information about the city and the race. During this time, there were times

when I had to remain calm and professional in dealing with large crowds so I could diffuse tense

situations effectively. This volunteering experience made me realize the importance of having

strong soft skills and motivated me to actively seek out other extracurricular activities that are

going to elevate my leadership and teamwork abilities.

I appreciate you taking the time to look over my application, I am excited about the prospect of

studying at Bocconi University and contributing to the ongoing pursuit of knowledge within

your institution. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Rufat Guliyev

Oh my brother, what is this? Did you actually copy paste the essay as is? 

If you see my profile, I am generally the most uplifting "you can do it" guy but I am blanking to find positive things out of this. 

There are so many grammatical errors, even a spelling error (misspelled "abroad"), and incoherent sentences. Just goes to prove that you are not detail-oriented. 

The start is very generic. "Why this uni?" is not as specific and very generic. It does not sound researched. All you mention is 2-year and quantitative. But how? Why is it the best fit for you aside from an internship in the middle (explanation is also not as strong and believable). And never bring down other programs. Just say why this program is the best fit for you based on your profile. 

The story is all over the place. You need to be more consistent in the flow. You have to control the flow of the story. As I was reading this, I consistently lost you. Are you trying to say this or that? It is not clear. You can be literary and have a story-like structure but cannot be incoherent. For finance, I would say keep it like a proper essay with a thesis, reasoning, and examples that support those reasonings.

Brutal honesty: if I was the admission officer, I would not grant you admission either. You are purposely showing that you are not detail-oriented and are not even willing to put in the work required to ensure your spelling and grammar are correct (let alone the coherence in the story).

That's strange, a friend of mine was recently admitted to HEC with a worse GPA and much worse GMAT. I feel like your profile should be more than good enough to be admitted to Bocconi.

Msc in finance admissions in bocconi are super GPA oriented. Most folks there have a 4/4 gpa (or slightly less if they come from STEM). Plus your essay doesn't address the relatively "low" GPA and it's very generic. 

That’s what I thought too. Plus I should have applied in the second round since my profile is not that strong and the competition is intense in the 1st round. I have a chance to apply again, should I choose international management for a better chance? 

IM is similar regarding to GPA , but you 'll have better chances there. Focus on what you can control: perfect your essay and make it more personal, create a narrative and express clearly why you want to study in bocconi. Consider applying to other unis, with your GMAT you can get pretty much everywhere. Another advice for the essay: don't put so much emphasis on your work experience, try to make your interest in finance visible and describe the trajectory that you'd want your career to take and why an Msc in finance (especially a super quantitative and theory oriented like the bocconi one) would help you achieve it. Btw, why would you want to do IM??? it's deeply different from the Msc in Finance. If you want i can get you in contact with people in both courses that can give you some infos, feel free to PM me. GL

Are you Italian? Or a shitty eastern euro country? That's the only way I see you not getting in with those scores. 
I received merit but with a worse essay, better scores and attractive country for them to put in the class... 

Anyways, nothing you can do. 

Agree, RSM (closed in like August!!) ,HSG,SSE - I would add WU Vienna. Join a program like SIMC, then get into WUTIS (investment fund). Lots of good placement for WUTIS people. 

The only way you see someone not getting in is because the committee would engage in blatant prejudice based on nationality?

Just because you’re clearly prejudiced(“shitty Eastern European Country”??) and have completely idiotic opinions (more attractive or less attractive countries) doesn’t mean that everyone else is.

Use this scholarship and educate yourself instead of looking down on people from countries torn apart by communism and oppression.

??? My point is the economic situation isn't as great... I have literally no opinion and do not care. 

Anyways, If you have an attractive country that they can flaunt, they will give it to you. Welcome to the real world pal. You're out to lunch if you think certain nationalities don't get prejudiced by schools, companies etc. 

Declined Bocconi's offer btw, stick to audit. 

Let this be a lesson to GMAT maximalists - no matter how high your GMAT score is above the average, if your essay is not well produced you do NOT stand a good chance of getting in unless the school is extremely non-competitive.

I actually asked the admission office the reason for my rejection. This is what they said.

Your application, considered as a whole, was not as strong as some of the others we received.

In particular, your selection result was mostly affected by

• your undergraduate GPA, not very competitive compared to other applicants (especially the exams in the quantitative area)

The issue with Italian universities, including Bocconi, is that they're extremely academically focused. Contrary to the US, where your application is looked at holistically, in Italy your GPA is weighted way more than extracurricular or professional experience. It's a failed system in my opinion, too many Italians focus so much on education and GPA and then, once they graduate, they have to settle down to some mediocre jobs because academics consumed their time without allowing them to focus on gaining professional experience. 

In fact, I've heard an Italian banker saying that they had numerous interns that were extremely good in theory, maybe the best in Europe, but they had no clue how to turn on Bloomberg. Half satire, but you get the point. 

If I were you I would focus either on France/Germany/UK. Way more opportunities than in Italy and Bocconi students also aim at those locations, so by being at a local university where the bank is located you'll have an edge. Pick also a location where you would be comfortable in the medium-term reaching some fluency as local language in Europe is important.

Cheers.

yes, italy is so much more extreme even in the European setting. i have a 4.0 gpa and any UK or US freshman intern would kick my rear as far as experience goes. the amount of studying you have to do here makes it much more difficult to get experience. just to put things into perspective, even big4 firms ask for a MASTER to intern there most of the time

one.two.three

Just wanted to point out how wrong is the person saying they dislike Eastern European countries: I’m from one of them and got accepted last year in the first round with 700 GMAT and 8.8/10 GPA

Did you have work exp or internships? I have a similar profile

Omnis libero error ea dolores. Aliquid tenetur ut aliquam iusto magni. In voluptatem aspernatur quam hic quam. Rerum odio culpa rerum repellat praesentium. Iusto unde voluptatem earum eligendi quia et.

Array

Nemo placeat ex temporibus deleniti omnis necessitatibus. Et et dolores unde voluptatibus suscipit dolore aspernatur.

Autem vel molestiae accusamus exercitationem id natus. Et quia ab veritatis praesentium voluptatum voluptatibus. Et quae pariatur distinctio. Ducimus occaecati corrupti praesentium voluptatem voluptas blanditiis. Corrupti officiis beatae vero id.

Vel harum vitae alias ullam. Et libero rem cumque nihil error est dolorem. Vel dolor consequuntur voluptas distinctio eos. Ipsam omnis possimus et blanditiis.

Quibusdam quibusdam et nihil fugiat ab. Eos quis nihil et magni dolores illo error nam. Doloremque inventore voluptatem tempore. Aut quibusdam harum occaecati.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”